The webinar will address the scientific and technological challenges of decarbonization and some key issues such as the carbon cycle, fossil fuel reserves and the perspectives of carbon sequestration and utilization in the energy and chemical sector. We will also discuss whether carbon could be depicted as an endangered or conflict element in the next edition of the EuChemS Periodic Table.
The webinar will take place online onThursday 22 April, from 10:00 to 16:30 CEST // morning session: 10:00 -12:00 CEST – afternoon session: 13:30-16:30 CEST.
The webinar is chaired by Nicola Armaroli (EuChemS Executive Board member, CNR) and hosted by Floris Rutjes (EuChemS President, Radbout University).
Speakers from the international Chemistry community and the EU institutions will address scientific and policy-related topics on the carbon element.
· David Cole-Hamilton (Former EuChemS President, University of St. Andrews)
Introduction: the EuChemS Periodic Table
· Mark Schaffer (Centre for Energy Economics Research and Policy)
Fossil fuels: reserves and resources
· Pierre Friedlingstein (University of Exeter)
The Carbon Cycle in the Anthropocene
· Jeff Colgan (Brown University)
Geopolitics of carbon
· Alessandra Quadrelli (CNRS)
Panel Discussion about altering the EuChemS Periodic Table and proposal
· Soren Bowadt (DG RTD, European Commission)
EU Initiatives for 2050 carbon neutrality
· Marco Mazzotti (ETH)
Status of carbon capture and sequestration projects worldwide
· Angela Dibenedetto (University of Bari)
Carbon dioxide recycling, perspectives and challenges
· Robert M’Barek (Joint Research Center of the European Commission)
Biorefineries for the chemical industries
Steps towards the energy transition, with focus on decarbonization